8.04.2010

And  it begins!  We bought mattresses- our first "home" purchase in Peru.  These were an easy purchase.  We bought them from Extreme.  There was a "yard sale" at the office this week, and we bought these for a great price.
It is weird to be starting over!  It's really overwhelming.  Little things keep coming to mind- "Pillows, forks, clothespins, toilet brush"  really random!  The reality is we have to find everthing for a home.  We have only what we brought, which is basically clothes!  Little by little we will get it done.   Trevor, Garren and Micah are excited to have a kitchen and have asked to go along for the purchase of pots, pans and kitchen wear- to ensure they have quality supplies for their cooking!  They have plans to come and use the kitchen often to cook- how great is that!?!  I am looking forward to being all together more often.  Here in Arequipa they will not live with us, but will be very close. We looked at a house yesterday.  It was big- three big living rooms, two bedrooms and a great kitchen, for about $200 monthly.  We'll find out more today and plan to look at other places too.  Looking consists of walking up and down streets looking for building that look like they may be available, ringing the bell and asking.  No internet or newspaper searches!  We had great help yesterday from some of the team that will be going to Cusco.  They are 3 months ahead of us in the process.  
I have had an extra hard time this week.  My sister had her first baby last weekend and it is so hard for me not being there!
 Michael, Donna and Matthias
 My eyes well up everytime I see pictures or think about it!  We will meet him in a year-  That is so long!  It is hard knowing that we are missing all that time with him- and then I think about everyone else and all that we are missing, all that my kids are missing.  AHHHH- it is hard.  The idea of sacrifice is really close right now- I am really feeling it- and it does not feel good.  I hurts.  But, that's what it is suppose to be like.  I keep trusting and knowing that these sacrifices are not forgotten.  If this is what it takes to be obedient and to be in the center of God's will- we will do it.  We know it is God who called us to this, and because of who He is, we will continue and hope for great things.  I wouldn't mind it being easier though- unfortunately that is not part of the deal!  I keep hoping that I will wake up each morning feeling better, but, not yet.  There are so many incredible things here, awesome experiences, good things- but for now, the things and people we are missing seem greater.  
Thomas and Ella "meeting" baby Matthias
It is all part of the process.  Our life is rich and blessed.  This time is building in us the character that God desires.  He is good.  Chad has been an awesome support for me, and God is drawing us together.  When I am down, Chad is up, and visa-versa.  

We are trying to set up regular time to spend with each of our guys individually.  Trevor wanted to go to sushi- which Chad was thrilled about!

Trevor and Chad so excited for sushi!!!
I continue to be so proud of Trevor, Garren and Micah.  Each Sunday I am reminded how incredible they are.  All of them are involved at church.  Trevor sings (yes, in Spanish), Garren plays guitar and Micah manages the sound system.  It is going to be really exciting to see what God does with them!  Keep them in your prayers as God continues to prepare them what He has planned in Puno.

And- I'll end this post with a random picture of the kiddos!  


At the front of our house is a small fenced  in  "garden"-a space about 8ft x 16ft.  I took this picture from out of our bedroom window.

9 comments:

JJC said...

you can do it. culture shock and adjustment take a really long time - but think how fun it will be to equip your new home! You can create a space that can be your sanctuary. So good that you and Chad are so close during these times, my heart leaps for you all. You can do it.

Cyndi Moore said...

Thank you for "adopting" Garren. He is a good kid and I am very proud of him. I enjoy reading the blogs from you and the boys so much. Enjoy your new home and its furnishings. I am glad to hear that Garren is playing a guitar for church. I'll remember to pray for you all. <3 Cyndi

someone else said...

You four are doing an amazing thing. We're really proud of you!

The Kinney Clan said...

Amanda - thank you for being so open and honest! It has been such a blessing for us to be able to watch your journey and to know how to better pray for your family. I am so excited to see how God will continue to use you as you serve Him! Not an easy task being so far away - but you are bridging the gap for us back here to feel like we get to be a part of something special with you. Hang in there, breathe, and know that God captures each tear we cry & knows the desires of our hearts! We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see what door God has for you to knock on. He will lead you to the house that you are to make a home in.

Cara

Bridgette said...

We love you guys!

I'm glad that Ella and Thomas have each other, that last picture is so sweet where they are both playing.

susan willoughby said...

I continually keep you and the family in our prayers. I know that it is tough, you are a strong woman Amanda. God will guide you through this tough time. Keep your chin up and know that you are cared for and deeply missed-love ya

Dawn said...

I can only imagine how hard it is - especially right now. I am glad that you and Chad take turns and can help each other along. That's the way it's been in our lives, though not in the same kind of circumstances.

I'm so thankful Kev got to visit with Chad for such a long time. He gave his testimony at church last night and it was amazing. I was very proud of him.

The kids are so cute sitting in the doorway. They will never be the same for having this experience!

I'm sure you've heard of our cousins who we saw only every 4 years when we were growing up - we are now getting to know them and enjoy them as adults - at this late stage in life. Much sacrifice, but much obedience.

Dawn said...

PS - I was just thinking of when Vicki and Loren were in Alaska for that two years and we didn't get to see them - Chad and Julie only had each other and it is so similar in that way. We didn't call each other because it was too expensive, so we wrote letters and did audio tapes of our kids doing cute things - took a good two weeks for back and forth of tapes, at least. I am so thankful you have Skype!