We had a very full three weeks back home in the States. It was so wonderful to see so many people, but difficult to have to divide time. There are so many people that I think, " I barely got to see them!" So it goes. I am thankful for the time we had, the people we were able to see and the encouragement we received while there. There are blessings in our lives, that are hard to understand sometimes. For Chad and I, we feel so blessed by how many people we get to call friends. We stayed in 6 different homes while in the States. Every event planned, meal served, conversation had, gift given were all so thoughtful. We recognize that the people in our life are a special blessing from God and that we have done nothing to deserve. Chad and I are working through what the blessing of friendship means for us, what our responsibility with that is. How we should be utilizing that to give more honor and glory to our loving God, who has so greatly blessed us? Can we do anything with it beside give thanks to God for pouring Himself into us through His people? It just doesn't seem like enough to simply recognize it and bask in it! We want to be faithful and extend the same love to others that we have received but, to this point, we feel as if we have a long way to go! God is using you in our lives to teach, challenge and mature us. I hope each of you can see a measure of God's grace in your lives through the blessing He is giving you.
 |
| Swanson Family Reunion (Chad's Mom's side of the family) |
 |
| Water fight! The kids spent a lot of time in swimsuits. We enjoyed the wonderful summer weather! |
 |
| Rockies game with Chad's side of the family. |
 |
| We spent a weekend in Hailey. Aby and Stephanie are wonderful friends. |
 |
| Zack and Natalie were amazing hosts to my kiddos. |
 |
| We spent some wonderful time with the Lynch family. She is from Peru, and they have recently returned to the States from S. America. |
 |
| Janet (my college roommate) and her family hosted us for a night in the mountains. |
 |
| BBQ with friends that we have had since before there were kids. Now look at us! |
 |
| During a layover in LA we spent several hours with the Greenfields, wonderful friends that encourage us and challenge us! |
 |
| We went out one night with my sisters and their husbands while my parents stayed home with the grand kids. |
 |
| My Dad and Uncle Jimmy playing with the kiddos. |
 |
| Cascade lake. Idaho is beautiful! |
 |
| Family picture! It was so fun to meet Matthias (1) and Claire(4 months) for the first time. We'll have to re-introduce ourselves the next time we see them and meet another addition coming in January to Michael and Donna. |
 |
| In Colorado, another beautiful place! |
After returning to Peru, I realized that what I miss most about being away is sharing life with friends and family. Technology enables us to keep in touch, see pictures, send a quick note. But the day to day stuff of life, that is what I miss sharing. I miss being able to pick up the phone at any minute and call my Mom. I miss having a dinner of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup with friends on a Tuesday night. I miss getting birth announcements and birthday invitations, and random invites for coffee. I miss the security of knowing that our family is close, within a day's drive, in case I needed them or they needed me. So, basically I miss life as I have always known it. I miss hot tap water, carpet, high counters, grass, knowing where I can buy things, drive thru's, dryers, giving my kids a bath in a bathtub, walk-in closets, Walmart, crickets at night. . .
But, then, when I begin thinking about the things I like about Peru, I realize how blessed I am to be here! I like that I can go from one culture to the next in a day, and be comfortable in both. I like Friday night dates with Chad. I like hearing the 40/40's upstairs. I like speaking Spanish. I like walking all the time. I like the need I feel to pray all the time. I like that although life is harder, it is more simple with less distractions. I like that my family is almost always together. I like that I talk about God with someone daily. I like that my need for and complete dependence on God is real and challenged each day. I am closer to God in Peru. It is not Peru that does it, the place would not matter. It is that we are in His Perfect Will (exactly where he wants us) for us at this time in our lives. Therefore, with all the things I miss, I would not choose to be anywhere but here. If leaving all the things I mentioned early behind is what it takes, okay. I'm in. For the rest of my life? As hard as it is to say some days, yes- for the rest of my life. There is no better place to be, then where God wants us. I hope you are there. If not, I hope you pray for God to reveal it to you, and when He does- embrace it! Whatever it is. He will not disappoint.
4 comments:
smile:
great post.
sounds like a wonderful place to be, in body, spirit, and mind.
Beautiful post, Amanda. It was so wonderful to be with you for a few days.
Amanda, sorry that we missed seeing you guys during your visit, but SOOOO happy to see all the wonderful photos (you really used your time well!) and especially to hear you so beautifully describe your contentedness with being exactly where God has placed you--what a blessing and a joy to know that!! Sorry we haven't commented before, but I read all your emails and am so happy to see that YOU are doing so well. God BLESS you guys and the work you are doing down there! --Korri
Cool! Cool! Cool! Amanda!
Post a Comment