4.25.2012

Church workday

I can honestly say with 100% confidence that trying to figure out and live within a second culture is one of the hardest things to do.  Problem solving, conflict management and communicating abstract ideas are hard things to do in your first culture- doing it in a second culture, in a second language- forget it!  We have had some frustrating days in Peru.  There are days when we just don't get it and want to go home where things just make sense.  We throw our hands in the air and say, "Why can't they get it!?"  I know "they" are thinking the same thing about us!  But, we muddle through!  God is really worked to humble me.  Sometimes I want to be done with the lessons, but I am thankful for them and thankful that God, in the midst of the lessons, also gives me amazing experiences.  Living in a second culture is also fun, exciting and full of newness and adventure.  At the end of the day, I am still so grateful to be doing this!





The short-term team that came gave this congregation such a fantastic beginning to their new church.  Pastor and the congregation have faithfully continued to work on the church building and property.  Today, Chad and Pastor are at the church painting.  Last Sunday after church, people  stayed and began painting the church and doing other projects on the property.  I went with two other ladies to prepare lunch and bring it back to the church.  It was a church work day, Peruvian style!

                                                                                  

I helped prepare fried rice, corn, sweet potatoes and ceviche.  Ceviche is a common dish here that is made by letting fish pieces soak in lemon juice. Onions, peppers, ginger and salt are added, everything is tossed together and served cold.  It is surprisingly tasty!

I love that my kids are experiencing this!
Serving up food!
Lunch in the middle of the church property-

Another view, with the church behind us and a little retaining wall that was being built.
The kiddos digging-

It is COLD in the shade- these guys were trying to get to the only sunshine
on the property after lunch!





















Pastor has changed Sunday services from Sunday evenings to Sunday mornings.  I love it!  It feels like Sunday again and having the entire afternoon open helps me better prepare for the week.  I am excited to see how much progress is made on the church between now and when we come back to the states in July!



2 comments:

Dawn said...

I can only imagine, Amanda! Your kids are so versatile - they eat so well. What is the food that looks like little off white discs?

Anonymous said...

Dawn, Are you talking about the corn? The kernels are huge and its certainly not sweet.

Chad