5.29.2006

Re-defining vacation

We spent the weekend in the mountains with some friends in their family cabin. They have two children, ages 2 and 4. The weather was not great, cold and rainy, but the guys did get a round of golf in. We were able to fish a little (before it started to hail and snow), bike a little (until the wind got too strong) and shop a little (until the shops closed and we, the moms, had to get back to get dinner going). It was nice to get away and be with friends for a few days, but a bit hectic at times with three little ones. The phrase, "Your lives will change once that baby comes!" rang true this weekend. By the end of the day, we were all too tired to play games, watch a movie or do anything other than sit, stare and soak in the quiet. It was still fun, but not really relaxing. I can relax at home much easier that I can away, now that we have her. I felt like I packed half of the house up, and then after three quick days, came home and had to put it all back. Change is not bad, just different. Adjustments come with each stage of life. It was great to be in the mountains for a few days, and to get out and smell the pine trees and see beautiful places. Chad and I love the mountains. Our ideal home would be in or near a high mountain meadow with a little stream or lake nearby. It is so pretty and peaceful. Maybe one day we'll find a place like that for ourselves. For now, I will have to pretend I am next to a mountain stream while listening to the neighbor's front-yard fountain! Ella update: 1. Her third tooth broke through over the weekend. 2. She is no longer nursing. I really wanted to make it to 12 months, but she is really not interested anymore. She just wants her sippy with formula. I have tried several times to nurse her, and she just gets mad. I thought I was dry at first, but know now, after her not nursing for a few days, that I am not. She is just done. That makes it easier for me and affords Chad and I the ability to plan a little getaway for the two of us. 3. She is really loud. We were with some friends tonight that we have not seen for awhile. I was changing her diaper, which she did not want me to do,and our friend said, "Man, I forgot how loud she is." Yeah- she has a really loud voice- and she uses it! There is no mistaking when she has had enough. 4. She loves to move. I had her outside today in her walker. She was cruising all over the driveway. She really loves to climb the stairs. She'll crawl over and pause at the bottom step, waiting for someone to see her, then when she has someone's attention gets really excited and starts up the stairs as quick as she can. She is rocking all the time. Moving her body forward and back, while holding on to whatever is in front of her. 5. She loves her daddy. She gets excited every time she sees him and says some form of Dad ( da, dada, or da-ee). I love it. Tonight I am thankful for: 1. A peaceful home 2. A happy child 3. Plans for three nights this week (dinner with a high school friend, scrapbooking, and a BBQ)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I hear you on the change when the baby comes...it seems like the change doesn't really hit until 9 or 10 months, when they're still immobile, but then it does-holy cow.
You still made it FAR with nursing. Kudos to you still!
One thing about being with friend with kids-they understand the chaos and you don't have to apologize.

KarenK said...

Yep, it really does change everything. I do have to say that makin the life adjustment to #2 is so much easier in every single way. Now for #3 . . . we'll see.

Kristen said...

Sounds like a nice weekend, although you're right about things changing. Nothing is ever quite as relaxing....even when you do get away by yourselves (at least for me because then I'm obsessively thinking about them and hoping they're OK!)

I can't wait to meet Ella! She's such a cutie. Vicki showed me some recent pics of her.