10.16.2008

Confessions of an Inadequate Mother

I have been far to patient with my children. I know that patience is something that most parents have a hard time with, but knowing when to NOT have patience is something that I struggle with.

SO, I commit, from this day forward, to begin instilling the "Fear of Mother" into my children. There are lots of areas of parenting where I can practice the patience that God has given me- but when it comes to rebellious behavior, sassy mouths and defiance- I am stepping up my game. No more nice Mom--sweet Ella and Thomas will now face the "wrath of Mom" when they misbehave. I will be greatly assisted in this by those people who have helped bring this problem to my attention, my dear husband Chad, my loving parents, and other wonderful Mom's in my life. I, obviously, have not been able to come to this realization, thus far, without others input.

This is such a hard, terrifying job sometimes. I am a ball of stress this week worrying about how I may be completely messing my children up - and am having trouble even taking it to God, none-the-less giving it over to Him. HE hold the future of my children in His hands. He knows my heart- and He entrusted these two lives to me.

It may be a long few days, correcting behavior that has been tolerated- but, I trust, the results will be worth it.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

that is such a great picture of you two. I feel as though I am guilty in that area as well. You are such a great mama though-really you are.

Tyffany said...

It will be worth it! That is what I tell myself. Hebrews 12:11 gets me through it every time! I will be praying for you!

Kendra said...

Oh Amanda, I have been exactly in your position, more than once I'm afraid to admit. It is worth it to change that--our kids are worth anything--and you will do great. I'll keep ya in my prayers! :-) You are not an inadequate mother, just an imperfect one and we all are, its a good thing we have God!

Anonymous said...

So hey, welcome to the club! "My name is Pam and I'm an inadequate mother."
;-)

I lost my patience somewhere between child number 3 and 4. Seriously, haven't seen them since and my kids will verify this.

jls said...

Ugh. No fun. Let me know if any technique works especially well. I could use some new tricks myself.

Anonymous said...

I have always thought you were doing a good job?


Jeremy

theatienza6 said...

I admire you for having all those patience. I think God forgot me in that area. Not really, but I totally struggle with not having enought patience with my kids. I have been told that that is why God gave me 4 kids to teach me some patience. I hope I catch on soon for my poor kids sake. I'll be praying for you with this.

Dawn said...

I can't tell you how many times I cried myself to sleep, sure that I was ruining my children.

Michelle said...

I was surprised at how beautiful Twin was! I've never really heard any of the good things :) But it was gorgeous...you should definitely check out some more of it!