7.28.2010

Gearing up for transition


It is hard to believe that we are 2.5 weeks away from ending language school!  That means we are 2.5 weeks away from finding an apartment and furnishing the apartment with everything we need to live.  It also means I will start shopping for groceries and start preparing food for my family, after 3 months of having someone else cook for us.  We will also take over all the budgeting responsibilities for our team, something that the office has handled during language school.  We are looking forward to having a home of our own again.  After language school we will begin bible school.  These are college level theology courses, in Spanish!!!  I am anticipating some frustration and being completely  lost and overwhelmed.  The Peruvian partners will also be joining us when bible school starts, so there is a lot happening very soon!  We have lots of people to help us out who are months ahead of us in this process.  We are doing well with our spanish but still have so much to learn!  It will be a process that never ends.  I can only imagine what I must sound like to people sometimes, but I am able to get my message across, most of the time.  The kids are amazing us with all the words and phrases they are beginning to use and their pronunciation is perfect!

Last weekend Chad and I spent a weekend away- in an area called Colca Canyon.  The kids stayed with another family here in Arequipa and had a great time.  Chad and I enjoyed extended time just being able to focus on each other and get re-centered and focused as we head into another transition.  We did not go with a tour, so we had lots of practice communicating in Spanish and a lot of time alone.  We bought bus tickets, found a hostal to stay in and visited several sites.
On our way to visit some ruins called Uyu-uyu.  It was so nice to be outside, in fresh air!

Uyu-uyu ruins
A tourist hot spot, Cruz de Condor.  These huge birds were impressive.  We were at an elevation of about 11, 000 ft.
We contemplated putting this weekend trip off, but with all the changes coming up and added responsibilities, decided to do it sooner than later.  It was a good choice.  We came back refreshed and re-energized.

Thank you so much for your faithful prayers.  We do feel them and love to hear from people who are lifting us up.  Sometimes the ache for home is so strong.  God is keeping us focused and always drawing us back to Him when we begin to focus on all that we are missing.  Being here is such an amazing gift from God- and we do not want to lose sight of that!  Pray for our team, Micah, Garren and Trevor as they also are facing big changes and preparing to meet their partners.  Pray for protection over their hearts and minds.  We have had some really sad events occur with other 40/40's, and we pray for wisdom to guide and support our team well as they are faced with challenges and pressures.  We know God has great things ahead!        

.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow, amazing things ahead! I know you'll do great. I was sad to hear that there have been tough issues with other 40/40 groups.

Jeremy said...

Even at 11,000 feet, that mustache is inexcusable. I am mailing a razor imminently.

joy said...

I am just about to have my devotions- I will give you guys a BIG shout out today. :) We have been missing you guys a lot lately. I'm sure you must be missing home at times- but what an amazing experience. and your spanish? Nice work! I'm absolutely jealous. This trip will change your whole families' lives. I applaud you for hanging in there through the tough times and keeping your mind and spirit focused on the Lord and His purpose!

JJC said...

Glad you guys got some C/A time...that is priceless. Big big big stuff coming up! I can't believe they have you doing the Bible school in Espanol! LOCISIMO!!!! However, immersion is the fastest way to learn the language and if you have the internet, go to google translator and you'll be able to navigate. My mind is just totally blown with all the big changes you'll be making so soon - best of luck, lean on each other and how much you love and support each other and use your brains..! you can do it! Buena suerte!