5.10.2012

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a huge deal here.  At the schools there are always big assemblies, food, gifts, etc.  It's big. Today, both the kids had Mother's Day events.  Ella's entire school assembly is tomorrow, but today we celebrated just with her class.  The kids did a little presentation and then we had a chicken and potato lunch and each mother received a cup and saucer.  All the food and gifts are paid for with money that parents give ahead of time.  The amount of money is determined by the parent committee assigned to the event.  There are so many events each year, that every parent is assigned to a committee.  The committee plans the events, buys and prepares the food and buys and wraps the gifts.  Ella sand "The B-I-B-L-E" in front of everyone and read a little quote about motherhood.  Ella doesn't like the way tights feel, so she just wears dark blue pants under her skirt.  One day she'll probably ask me why I let her dress like that!  


 Thomas' entire school participated in an assembly today, in which every class did a dance.  Thomas class did a dance called the Patominos, which is a war dance.  He got into the warrior part, and did not stop marching the whole time!  Like Ella's school, parents pay for the costumes, food and gifts provided at the events.


I have awesome kids.  

While I was occupied all morning with school events, Chad and the 40/40's prepared for the arrival and orientation of our second short-term group.  I had originally planned to go get the groceries after the school events, but Chad and Kristen took my list and got it done for me!  What a blessing it was to come home, after nearly 6 hours at schools, and have all the groceries bought for the next three days!  Six college students arrived today.  I will be preparing dinner here for the team each night.  This is a picture of the group this evening.  


I probably won't be doing a daily post with this group as they will be going out each day, and I will be here doing normal Mom stuff and getting dinners ready.  We will have morning meetings and dinners here at the house, and I will try to borrow pictures from the events and post them as I can!  There are some fun events planned for the next week, in which this group will work to build and strengthen relationship with people in the new church plants.  

 

2 comments:

Dawn said...

That is so neat that they make such a big deal about Mother's Day. The girls don't like tights either. Big grown up girls don't wear hose any more either!

You do have awesome kids, and they have an awesome mom.

Have fun with the group, I can't remember where they're from.

Sherry said...

I LOVE this. Awesome kids indeed. Love you guys.