6.23.2006
On Marriage
Can't sleep-again- this has NOT been a good sleep week. Ugg- I hate that because I can usually sleep. Chad and I are in a bit of a funk- just not really enjoying each other- so that is probably the main reason for my problem. It always worries me when it happens- it's not fun and I just want to get through it and not worry. I know that my worry about it is good- if I did not care, then we would really be in trouble. Chad feels it too- so we will figure it out. It just feel so out of control and it is frustrating because I think "How did this happen???" It always seems to sneak up on me. If I ever feel panicky about my life, it is when I am not connecting with my husband. Maybe I have too much of my security placed in that. Maybe not- it is second only to my relationship with Christ. Chad and I have been married for almost seven years. We met in 1995. I was a freshman and he was a junior in college. The things that initially attracted me to Chad were that he got along well with people and he was funny. (He is still those things today!) We dated for three years before we got engaged. That was so good for us. We really knew each other and there have been no surprises in our marriage, which is good because we are very different people. We even did pre-engagement counseling- I know- seems crazy, but even then we had a complicated relationship. We are both thinkers and we both like to be right. When we are communicating well with one another, we make a great team-because of our differences. Chad is practical and realistic. He is calculated and makes good decisions. He is not impulsive and is very attentive to detail. I am a dreamer- an eternal optimist. I am a big picture person and tend to make decision based on how I feel. SO- when we can work together, we cover all the bases, but if we are not communicating- things get - complicated. What do we have in common? To put it simply our faith and our values. There are other things too, but our faith and life values are really what keeps us grounded. That is what we both always come back to. No matter what our conflict is about, I know that ultimately, he is basing his decisions on the same thing I am basing mine (THAT however, typically does not come quickly to my mind in the midst of the issue). I know that he is committed to me as deeply as I am to him. we can either consistently work on this marriage and be happy or be miserable in it- those are the only options. We will be married no matter what. So- we will muddle through this time- both knowing that this is how it goes. We have come through funks before and will have them in the future. But in between those times, we are so glad to be living and sharing our lives together.
God, be close in this time. Protect and guard our marriage and home. Keep our hearts open and strengthen the union you blessed nearly 7 years ago. This marriage will be successful only in You. My hope alone is in You.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Dwight and I are opposites in so many ways. God does interesting things when he puts people together. I know you guys will be fine! You're such a great couple. I just wish we could see you more often.
Amanda, this post just really spoke to me. Marriage is just such a long and bumpy path, you know? Listen, if you two ever need a night out, you know you can bring baby girl over and we'll sit for you. It's hard when you enter a child into the mix, it sometimes feels like you never get time for just the two of you. When The King and I feel disconnected, we get a babysitter and go out for the evening, just to BE with each other. We don't necessarily have discuss whatever is the problem, but just spending those few hours with each other, holding hands, connecting makes a world of difference. You let us know! We would LOVE to have her over!!!
I'm thinking and praying for you guys.
Amanda, Jim and I go through the same things. I am glad you have made the decision that no matter what you will be together. That is a big factor in getting though "the funk". Know you are not alone. God will get you through this. Thanks for being so open with your sharing.
I think its typical for couples to go through times like these, especially in transition times, like having a baby! I know Erik & I have. It sounds you have a great outlook on it though, which is good. Keep praying & talking and you will surely make it through the funk to a fun & strengthened marriage on the other side. :-)
Marriage can be a very difficult thing! You and Chad are wonderful together and I know you'll get through it...even though it's no fun at the time!
I came across your blog and really like it. We have been married for 9 years and my husband is in the Army. This alone can cause a funk with all the time he spends away. We always get through it though because eventually we connect and although we are opposites we come together somehow. It has always been like this so remember this too shall pass.
Post a Comment