11.12.2007

Today at our house . .

Lola has discovered the new office chairs, and LOVES to sleep in them. Fortunately for her, there are two, so there is usually always one available to her. Ella gets a sticker when she uses the toilet, and I printed off a chart for her to keep. She is very creative in her placement of the stickers. Clustering is her preference . . . I decorate the house for fall and Christmas. I love fall. The colors of fall are my favorites, warm earthy tones. These are some of the decor in my kitchen. Sparkly pumpkins. Ella counts them every morning. The are very loud falling to the floor. Quite durable though! This is how I keep organized. I print this page out each week, fill it with the events to come, and keep it on the counter, so Chad knows exactly what is happening too. The colors indicate times I work, babysit and have social events. I also use a different color to indicate appointments, if there are any. Colors work well for me. So far, it has been a good system. I have had a long history of not being good about sticking to the budget. My over spending is almost always on groceries. It has been easy for me to justify this offense, because it is something we use. This whole money/budgeting thing is something God has really been working on me about. What generally happens is that I go to the store with a certain amount of money and a list. I do not keep track of what I am spending, and I buy things not on the list. Of course, I ends up going over. So- I am REALLY trying to do better. Today, I headed to the store with $50.00 and my list. I really wanted a cold coffee drink and considered getting one before I headed to the grocery store (using part of the grocery money). God nudged, and I reluctantly drove past Moxie Java and headed to get groceries. "I'll get one with the change," I told myself as I entered the store. I kept track as I shopped, and refrained from putting a bottled coffee drink in the cart as I entered the check out line. The bill was $51.31, so I had enough (with the change in the bottom of my purse), and although I was disappointed about not getting the coffee drink- I felt good about actually sticking to the budget and being obedient. I got everything that was on my list - plus an extra loaf of bread. A few hours later, after getting the kids home, fed, and down for naps, someone knocked on my door. It was Candee, holding these .... She saw them at Target, knew I would like it, and bought them for me! Today I was obedient, and God used Candee's friendship and thoughtful spririt to show His love. I give my children what they need, but I really like to give them things that add joy and pleasure in their lives. God is that way too. He will always provide for our needs, but He also wants to suprise and excite us by giving us "extras". Who knew- all this could come from a few ounces of sugary milk? Isn't God awesome!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I love it when things work out like that. Seeing God work in the little things throughout our day helps a ton when the big things roll in. :-)

Sherry said...

how fun. I bet they are tasty:). it's funny how He works huh?

ps...nice work on the grocery budeget...still working on that one myself:)

Kristin said...

That is awesome. So true. God has done the same sort of thing for me. I have even been treated to a coffee.

Phil, Gretch, and Finn said...

Great story Amanda. I always over spend on our food budget too! This is a good encouragement for me.

Adam and Natalie said...

I love it! Adam and I went on a mission trip a few years back and sent out letters for support. We stopped eating out for two months because we felt like that would be foolish for us to be spending frivolously when asking others for money. That month, 4 random people walked up to us at different times and gave us gift cards to restaurants or invited us out to pay for our meal. It was so neat to see God provide in that way.

Dawn said...

After 35 years of budgeting for groceries, it is still a struggle. Such a good life lesson, and well written!

Have fun with Kev and Angie!