Donna and Michael left after lunch this afternoon. It was a good weekend. I think we are all extra tired. The kids made sure we had an early start each day. We toured around town, ate out, went on a nice hike and they went to church with us this morning. We were able to rent a second kid carrier for the hike. It will be so nice to get another. If you have one you want to part with, let me know! I intended to get at least one picture I could post, but only got shots with my film camera.
I can barely remember what it was like to JUST be married, with no children. Totally different. I miss parts of it (of course now, all I can think of are the GREAT things about it), but I adore my kids. I think Chad and I are both extra aware of their "childishness" when we are with people who do not have children- which probably makes it come out even more in them. Not to mention the fact that things are different and we are asking them to change things up to accommodate us and the things WE want to do, that they couldn't care less about. Kids, mine at least, do SO much better with routine, structure and predictability.
Thank-you Donna and Michael for coming, for being flexible, and for interacting with our kids! We will love yours one day too.
After weekends like this, I look so forward to the time when our kids are older. But, then, when I see my baby looking so big (see below), my heart breaks a little. So many conflicting feelings! I want them to grow-up, but when they do, I want my babies back again. Just a reminder of the importance of embracing and really living in the present. It goes so fast- The kids enjoyed the sunshine this afternoon. Ella has really red cheeks and heat rash from the hot weekend. We put aloe vera on her cheeks, but it seemed to irritate it more. Her eyes are red, puffy and watery. We'll see how she's doing in the morning. She isn't complaining about it.
She had a cute suit on until I put Thomas' swim trunk on- and then, well-- I don't blame her. It looks much more comfortable then a tight wet swimsuit. And no, I did not put them in the corner. It was part of a game they were playing. Ella would run outside and after Thomas "called" her, she would run in, back up to Thomas who would push her- starting the process all over again. Minutes of fun and laughter!!
Big boy
Tomorrow the water AND power are scheduled to be off from 10:30-2:30 (something unrelated to the septic tank- they will be here working too.) So- that has "Monday" written all over it- the bright side, I can postpone laundry day!!!!
3 comments:
completely understand those feelings--sad to see them grow up, but at the same time ready for a little more flexibility. Sunday lunch is the worst-we went to someone's house for lunch-one pregnant with her first kid and a bit of a perfectionist...Luke's eyes to me said it all "she's thinking how much better her kids are going to be." We had to laugh on the way out, because I'm sure we used the "they really need a nap" phrase about 60 times. I guess it's all about learning patience.
I remember our talks in college, very well. So easy. You taught me some great communication skills those years. THANKS!
I love how they play together...even though that means that Thomas isn't a baby anymore! It's crazy that he is old enough to play with Ella, so nice that they have each other!
Post a Comment