A 30 year old mother- parenting her 15 year old daughter, who has a newborn baby. Both mothers have significant mental health histories.
A mother with 2 boys, from different fathers, and a third on the way, who is not her current boyfriend's child. The father of the oldest, claims both boys and attempts to co-parent. They are both hostile and SO poisonous to each other. The oldest boy has major behavioral issues and, mom states, adjustment disorder. Gee- wonder why?? I believe he has had ZERO stability from birth. Mom is currently homeless, due to not paying rent and exhausting ALL community resources available.
My new family is one dealing with s*x abuse issues with their 9 and 7 year old daughter, who were abused by uncles. I will find out more tomorrow evening when I meet them.
There are a lot of things that can be put into place to help make these situations better. Better, but not ideal. That is hard for me to accept.
I do ABC bible verses with Ella. One of the verses is, "I am the Bread of Life". The other day while riding her trike she stopped, and turned to me and asked, "Jesus is the Bread of Life?" I would LOVE to get a glimpse into her mind. It seems like we may be turning a corner, for the moment, with the whole authority/discipline issue. Last night, she disobeyed, threw a fit, attempted to hit me, and screamed loud and long. SO, after she calmed down in her bedroom, I went into talk to her. We talked about the bad choices she made, and about the consequences. She knew she was going to get spanked and get soap in her mouth. She was so cute, as she scrunched up her face, nodded her head and said, "Yeah, I made bad choices." She asked to have the spanking first, then as we went to the bathroom for soap she said, "I won't cover my mouth Mom." She didn't. It is such an amazing thing to see things sinking in. I can't believe she is 3. I already miss her--
I need to be working while my kiddos are sleeping--
3 comments:
you've got a big load that's for sure. Cute Ella story, it seems like all of a sudden they aren't toddlers at all, -def. little girls. Makes me just want to hug them even tighter.
Wow, that is a lot! I will be praying for you as you influence these families! And isn't it amazing when you start to see all of your hard work pay off! Praise the Lord for that!
Hi Amanda - even though i can't imagine what you must go deal with in your job, I TOTALLY agree and empathize about being a part-time employee and full time mom and not being all the time anywhere. I feel guilty to be away from the kids, but sometimes it is kind of good to be just "adult" and then i know that i HAVE to work and want to help people. Crazy. It is good to know that someone feels the same way. I should have known it would be you. And you are amazing - your blog is awesome and you are training for your half! I did a mini-tri before I had Elizabeth and I do good to walk 2 miles and check my facebook. Wish we were closer so I could be inspired to workout with you in that beautiful environment. Anyway, take care and I am thinking of you. Love to you and your beautiful family!
Post a Comment