9.21.2008

Ella, with her "long hair"- Thank-you Uncle/Pastor Luke for sending this card that afforded me the opportunity to discuss inappropriate clothing with my 3 year old daughter.Ella was quite concerned about this when she found the card in Chad's night stand. She looked at me with confusion and said, "Momma, what's this man doin?" She finally concluded that he needed to go home and put his undies on-

We had dinner with some friend tonight. Chad ran to their house, from ours. It was about a 10.5 mile run. This is him just before leaving or house. He made it in just under 2 hours, with a smile on his face!

We had a good weekend. Friday night we went to a couples shower for a newly married couple in our church. It was fun. We are getting to know some great people at church. God continues to show us his faithfulness to provide.

I worked a bit on Saturday. Some situations are so impossible. It is hard to trust that being involved can benefit or be helpful.I am glad to know the God who is in control- even when life seems so out of control. He loves them, His heart breaks for them and He has plans for a future and hope them. I am too small to understand that or to even begin to see how restoration can occur.

It has been cold this weekend. I cleaned out the kids rooms, thinned out toys and clothes, and have begun making my way through the rest of the house. It feels good to clean out and simplify. The kids are pretty set for cold weather. They need gloves- and Thomas might need boots. I need to check one more box of hand-me-downs. Chad and I are the one's that are going to need to beef up our winter gear!

I think I mentioned before that I have taken on the nursery at church. Trish has been helping me re-arrange, clean out and re-decorate and replenish the small space we have. It has been great having a place at the church, something to invest in. I am excited about having a good system and structure in place for the kids. I am getting a bit impatient, I want it all to be in place, yesterday. But, I think it is coming together well. It has been fun coming up with activities to do with each lesson. We have been averaging about 10 kids- ages 6m. to 3 yrs. Most of the kids are Thomas's age.

Ella has been a major challenge the last few weeks. I have been listening to -Ginger Plowman on FamilyLife radio pod casts. She has been a great encouragement and teacher for me. I recommend her to anyone with little kids struggling with how to discipline and direct. She gives lots of examples and practical ways to work with kids. The weekend has been good, so we will see what next week hold. This is such a time of character development in her life. I try to remember that, and to be diligent. It can be so tiring and time consuming. A good cry, or phone call to Mom and Dad always help.

That's it- happy Monday-

6 comments:

Bridgette said...

I listened to the EXACT same podcasts on line a couple of weeks ago! I really like Ms. Plowman. And I loved her idea for the "no-whining" watch/timer. How clever!

Sherry said...

Love the Chad picture-you guys and your running...makes me feel so so lazy-we're still stuck on a simple 4 mile walk...I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I always kinda secretly enjoy going through the kids clothes-it's kinda sad that they outgrow them, but at the same time kinda fun to see what they already have.

You'd be absolutely perfect for running the nursery. I can think of no better fit. Can't wait for Christmas to see you guys.

Sorry about the card by the way:)

Dawn said...

Oh, wow - what a good teaching moment that was! I wanted to see the inside, though!

You guys are amazing with your running! Good for you! Both.

jls said...

Oh, Ella. Someday I will be able to tell her that I totally understand her desire for long hair. I used to do the same thing with a towel...it's that dang D hair.

Korri said...

Scott and I got a good laugh at the Rolo/pretzel combo!
Thanks so much for your emails and your support, Amanda! We miss seeing you guys, but it sounds like things are going well up where you are! Seems to me that jogging would be really fun during the fall--your jog trails were featured in Sunset magazine one year. ENJOY!!
We love you guys!
Korri & Scott

lucas d said...

i'd like to set the record straight by saying that aunt/teacher sherry actually picked out that card, i merely loved it and wholeheartedly endorsed it's use.