11.16.2008

sunday nite

We went on a bike ride with a family from church this afternoon. They have two kids, a girl age 6 and a boy age 4. So, they had tag-along bike and Chad and I took turns pulling the bike trailer. It was an amazing trail, a two track dirt/gravel trail just north of us that had amazing views of the mountains. We wished we would have discovered it earlier. It will be a great running trail, which we will be taking advantage of in the future. Apparently in the winter it is one of the most popular Nordic trails up here in the winter. After the bike ride we went to the store, bought stuff for nachos and came back here for dinner. I really like having people over on Sunday evenings. It feels like such a good way to end the weekend!

Chad spent most of Saturday making some energy saving changes to the house. (Kent, we have no lawn mower up here, but be assured, Chad IS winterizing!)

In Sunday school today, Ella's class made leaves for a tree with things they were thankful for written on them. Ella's said, "I am thankful for worms."

We are doing kind of a fun and easy activity for Thanksgiving that I thought I would share-

Friday night Ella and I made a Thanksgiving poster then we colored small paper leaves and cut them out (I was going to have Thomas help with the coloring, but he was busy having a pillow fight with Chad in the living room). Each night, until Thanksgiving, we sit in a circle and say something we are thankful for, write it on a leaf and glue it on the paper. After we have all said what we are thankful for we take turns praying and thanking God for the things we identified. The kids have really gotten into it. Ella "helps" Thomas come up with what he is thankful for. Thomas and Ella glue the leaves on. Thomas even takes his turn to pray, which is mumbojumbo sounds ending with a confident "AMEN!" He bows his head and squints his eyes. It is quick, simple and something that little kids can do. This is what it looks like (after the first night)-

And those of you who know me, will not be surprised to know that I plan to make this a tradition and save the posters from year to year- at least until the kids roll their eyes at me-

3 comments:

Tyffany said...

That is a great idea Amanda!! Thanks for the tip!

Unknown said...

I've got a lawn mower you can winterize Chad! Love reading the blog and miss pestering Chad!

grammasnotes said...

Awesome tradition, Amanda. A good plan for big (grandparent) kids too! Great parenting.