9.19.2009

SUPER Random

Chad is gone this weekend at Men's Retreat. The first night is kinda fun- after that, not so much. I took the kids yardsale-ing this morning with Trish. Thomas got a fun dinosaur and Spiderman action figure- and I did get FIVE pairs of smartwool socks for $1 each- so that was good. I just am not sold on the joys of yardsale-ing. I think I need to always do it without kids. While we were out and about, my kids did enjoy Disney books on tape that Aunt Julie found at a yardsale for us. I like those yardsale finds the best- those found by other people for me!

Ella is doing great with pre-school. Thomas still cries EVERYTIME we drop her off, "Iwannagoaschool!!!!" Ella started gymnastics last week. Thomas sat by me the whole time saying, "My turn Momma?" He got to participate a little at the end, and the teacher said he would be fine in the class, SO they are both going to do it. I am torn about the extra-curricular stuff. I don't want to feel the need to keep them busy with activities. Gymnastics and Awana. That's it. Maybe only Awana next year. I can keep them busy enough-it just takes a bit of planning and creativity- which I like.

I am still leaning toward homeschooling starting next year. There seem to just be more pros than cons for us. We'll keep praying about it and researching. The thought of ordering materials and setting up a classroom make me giddy.

There has been some develop with the pregnancy center. We are officially, HOPE Pregnancy Center, Inc., and have started the paperwork for tax-exempt status, which may take up to 9 months to complete. But, we can operate anytime now as a non-profit. I met with a director of a nearby center last week, and it was a great time to get some ideas, feedback, direction, etc. She gave me several boxes of things that came from the center that closed up here. So, this is the beginning-

Our board is working on developing a mission statement. We are wrestling with it- pray for that as you think of me and our center. Next to having a child, this tasks feels so big and unknown to me. I feel entirely unequipped and unworthy, but at the same time, complete confidence that this is where God wants me to be putting my energy. It is hard to put into words. It is important, and it is crazy that He wants me to be this involved in it.

As soon as we have settled on a mission statement and created some informative pamphlets, fliers, etc-and set up our P.O Box I will begin scheduling to speak in church and local groups to raise awareness, volunteers and funds. Next week, if all goes well, we will be starting a community needs and resources survey- which will also begin to get the word out and give us good information to start with.

Crazy- this is just crazy that I am involved in this. I would have never guessed. God is full of surprises. Chad has been super involved too and I am so thankful that we are getting to do this together.

This is a new toy handed down to us from a family at church- it is a great tool bench, equipped with all kinds of tools. Both the kids have been loving it, and "fixing" and "cutting" all kinds of things around the house. I think I can say that Thomas is officially potty trained. He still has the occasional accident while playing, but has been in undies for a few weeks, and even during naps. He is usually dry in the mornings too. It seemed to come faster for him than Ella. Don't know why- certainly wasn't anything I did. I have no secrets or methods. Oh, besides M&M's in the medicine cabinet for success with the toilet.

Ella and Thomas are so much fun to listen to and watch play right now. Thomas' language and imagination is developing so much and I have to remember to take time to stop and enjoy it like I did when Ella was this age.

We have abandon the City of Trees half marathon for another, Prison Break, at the end of October. Gives us more training time, plus we know more people running in the Prison Break. I have been doing Pilate's two days a week at the Y, and I am trying to apply some of the principles to running. It has helped me improve my times a bit. That's nice. I got some new running clothes and shoes the last time we were in Boise. That's nice too. I really do like to run. Never thought I'd say that either!

This is what is happening to my tree in the backyard. I am not ready. This may be the first year of my life that I am not excited about fall coming. I don't want summer to end. Chad and I do not allow each other to talk about it-trying to will it to not happen! Just one of many things that has changes since our move to the mountains.

Phew- I think I have sufficiently emptied my mind of "ohIshould blogthat" thoughts. I am going to put the kids to bed and sit down and watch Mamma Mia with popcorn and a cold drink- a movie that I know Chad will not regret missing.

4 comments:

joy said...

Ditto on the yard saling...I would end up picking up a bunch of things that I don't need, because I was in such a hurry/distracted mode because of the kids. And would be making sure they weren't pilfering things that I didn't know about....
Excited for the prison break!
Missed you guys too on Thursday. Did you watch it online yet? The rumors were pretty funny....

Michelle said...

I think the pregnancy center work your doing is awesome. Its encouraging to see you step out and do what God has placed in front of you, even when you have no idea how to make it work. You will change lives! I don't know anyone that is more equipped for something like this, you will do great!

coffee talk said...

Hi Amanda! Great to hear from you. Yours is another blog for me to check out. Do we really live just don't the street? I will look for you someday when I take the dogs walking that way!

Tyffany said...

Amanda, we have been homeschooling for the last 2 years and it has been SUCH A BLESSING for our family! I would love to chat with you about it if you want. There are so many different ways to go. You should look in Idaho too for virtual charter schools for homeschooling families. In WA there are several of them, and we are involved in one, basically we get money to homeschool from the state and keep track of our curriculum. It has been awesome for us. Facebook me if you want to talk about it! I will be praying for you and your decision. It is a hard one!