6.25.2010

Bridgette- This is for you! These are some meals that we have had here. We have enjoyed all the food! Rice and pototatoes are a major part of the diet here. We eat bananas, apples, oranges and have also tried several new fruits that I can never remember the names of. Our host Mom makes us fresh fruit juice often. For breakfast we usually have bread with butter and jam, or an egg, or a slice of bologne. The coffee is instant- and is okay with cream. The kids drink yogurt or vanilla milk. The family is always concerned when the kids want cold milk to drink. They think all drinks should be hot or at room temperature. Yogurt here is the consistency of a smoothy and is delicious!

Lunch is the main meal of the day and is usually eaten around 2. Sometimes we have soup and then then main course. Dinner is smaller and is usually served around 7:30. We have not eaten a lot of sugar. Sweet or dessert are reserved for special occasions.

We have found several little vendors that we like to visit that sell snacks or pastries really cheap. A nearby super market also sells soft serve ice cream cones that the kids love and we found a little cafe nearby where we can get good coffee!

Chad's parents come over for dinner this week. It was fun to have them here.

When the kids play at our church- this is what their hands look like. Their clothes too.

After the kids were in bed last night, Chad and I went to see Toy Story 3 with a few other people. It was fun to go out. The only time the movie plays in English is at 9:50pm, so we won't be taking the kids. However, we will probably be able to buy it on the street very soon from vendors- for 2 soles which is less than $1. We have already bought about 15 movies from them. We watch them at night, in bed on the laptop with headphones, after the kids go to sleep. The first time we bought them we were having a really hard night, just feeling down and missing home! So, we went to the mall, walked around, ate Pizza Hut for dinner, and came home to watch a movie in English. It helped us feel a little better. Anything familiar is comforting!

Chad is sick today- fever and chills. Hope it passes soon. I am praying that all these sick bugs stay away from me!

This week's impact and construction projects are going well. Many contacts have also been made since the event and there is a weekend retreat beginning this evening for new believers. I think about 30 are signed up to attend. Exciting times for the church in Arequipa!

5 comments:

Cyndi Moore said...

Wow! I didn't know that you could see a current movie there. Maybe Garren DID see Toy Story 3. "Hay un amigo en mi."
I enjoy reading your blogs so much. I could not imagine myself with two little kids in Peru. You help me imagine.
Prayers to you.

Bridgette said...

Thanks for the shout-out!! I am HONORED. I was so curious about the food, glad to know it looks like a good variety! If you want any American snacks, I would be happy to send you a little care pkg sometime!! Serious,..just email me.

p.s. please thank Chad for the Shopvac. Seriously, having that around has been the best thing. I don't even unplug it anymore. It has a permanent home now...sorry.;)

Blake said...

like the updates...keep them coming...i especially like the puking stories, can you tell one about chad? wish we were there! miss you guys. bw

someone else said...

Oh, I loved this post. The food looks yummy and it was so lovely to see you and L&V there together.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, The food looks delish, and to me very familiar to african food. Reminds me a lot about Kenyan food and cooking. i have eaten my fair share of rice, potatoes, stewy meat and vegetables. I wish I could taste. I am so glad you guys are aclimating sp? yourselves. i think of you often. I don't have a computer so I barely check emails or blogs, but today I am at the library. Praying for God's wisdom for you. Say hallo to everyone. Angie.