9.14.2010

I have thought about blogging several times, but haven't taken the time to sit and do it.  Probably the main reason for that is that I want to keep an honest blog, and honestly, we are still having a rough time.    Homesickness, feeling frustrated with Spanish and completely inadequate for our job are things we fight daily. Who wants to read more about that?  BUT, we keep fighting and try to remind ourselves and each other that God does not make mistakes and that there is no doubt that this is where He wants us.  This too shall pass!  It does not FEEL like it right now, but we KNOW that this is an amazing opportunity, something we will never regret, and a time that can be full of amazing growth, as we continue to push through the down times.

After our big transition month in August, we are kind of settling into a routine.  We meet with our entire group Sunday evenings.  We are praying that this time together helps to unify and bond our team together.  I am trying to plan little devotionals and activities/games that we can do together to get to know each other and pray that whatever I am unable to communicate with my Spanish, that God will fill in the blanks.  Our American 40/40's are doing great with their Spanish, so they help fill in the gaps too!  Our team has committed to speaking ONLY in Spanish every Monday.  Yesterday was our first day.  The goal is to increase the number of days over the next four months, as we prepare for Puno.  Chad is taking some additional private Spanish classes each week, so we are working hard to keep learning and growing with our Spanish.  We have also started  The Truth Project series each week with our American 40/40's and are are trying to figure out whether or not we need a time specifically with our Peruvians.  We have also started inviting one pair each week over for dinner and try to get to a few of the bible classes each week.  

We are still waiting for our apartment to be finished.  This week Vilma (our landlord) is saying that it should be ready for us to move in this weekend.  We'll see.  Our time with Vilma and Julio has been great.  She feeds us lunch ever day and regularly brings us up plates of snacks  The kids love playing with her grandson, Giancarlo.  He comes to her house everyday after school.  She also as cable t.v, so the kids get to watch their favorite cartoons, in Spanish!  They have been so hospitable and helpful.  Vilma has asked, several times, that we come to visit her when we are moved into the new apartment.         
         
Sunday family lunch with Vilma, Julio and their daughter and grandson
Ella and Giancarlo
The kids are doing well.  They continue to enjoy school and have started singing at home, some of the songs they sing at school.  They talk about, "Idaho", "America", and "Ketchum" regularly.  It has been sad seeing everyone's "first day of Kindergarten" pictures on facebook.  Ella would be starting too if we were home.  Just another one of those things that we are exchanging for being here.  She's in school, in Spanish!  I KNOW that is an amazing trade off, but I still FEEL sad and am finding that I have to grieve all the things that we are missing out on or leaving behind to be here.  So, when I write about it, pray about it, talk about it, think about it-I cry.  I would just rather not do that, but, I am coming to accept that there is no way around it!  

Chad gave the kids a little tool lesson this week, because they are fascinated with his tool bag.  Thomas has asked to learn about the tools several times since the initial lesson.
The kids getting a tool lesson
The kids have been waking up between 6 and 6:30, so we have them stay in their beds and look at books until 7.  Sometimes they look at books for rest time too.  
reading
Chad and I have been getting up and listening to James McDonald podcasts before the day starts.  Check it out for great biblical teaching that will challenge you.  Hopefully, the next post I do will be full of pictures of our new apartment.  Thanks for keeping up with us!    

7 comments:

Sherry said...

Love you guys so much. I know it has to be so difficult, but you are in our thoughts and prayers every single day. Not a day goes by that you don't come to our minds or are spoken of-Brek told her teacher about her best cousin Ella yesterday. You are so close to us, just a little far away.:). I love all of your pictures-so great to put a visual with everything that you do. I'm sure it is so tough-but I am confident you will look back at this time and be so thankful. Love you guys, so proud to be family.

jade, trish, halle and will said...

We are so proud of you guys and love that you are honest about the hard times. We pray for you regularly and miss you more than you know! Hope we can talk soon. Love you!! PS We miss Idaho and Ketchum too! :(

jls said...

I'm glad you're willing to tell us the tough stuff, too. Love you!

J

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honesty. I have always loved that about you. Makes it easy to know how to pray for you guys specificly. We love and miss you guys.

JJC said...

some notes of encouragement: - the spanish will click soon! it's SO tough, and you feel so unable - but it will click. You'll start dreaming in Spanish - it will be awesome - the whole world will unlock for you.

Don't be sad about kindergarten!!! You'll get to do it there!!! just at a slightly different time - but you'll get to post Kindy pictures too!

before you know it you'll be returning to the states in the summer and freaking out, totally overwhelmed in the grocery store about all the different kinds of bread. (don't know if that's encouraging or not...but it'll be crazy and funny, just wait!)

someone else said...

I agree with Julie. The tough stuff is important for you to express and important for us to know. You guys are amazing.

Dawn said...

Thanks for keeping us in touch with your real life! What amazing experiences you and the kids are having.