| My sweet kiddos. Ella-6.5 years old, segundo grado (2nd grade) Thomas-5 years old, jardin 5 años (kindergarten) |
The following will give you an idea of why I still struggle!
First of all, I figured out when school started by going to the kid's schools last week to ask. There are no e-mail or regular mail notifications about school stuff. It is all just by getting the information right from the school or teacher. There are no school offices or secretaries. Ella's school had information written on a huge chalkboard just inside the school gate. When I went to Thomas' school, the teachers were meeting and planning in one of the classrooms and we got information from them. Ella had a 15 sole registration fee, Thomas' was 50. In order to pay this fee, I had to get a bank account number from the school, take that to the bank, pay the fee and then take the receipt back to the school. This process takes anywhere from 1-2 hours, depending on the line at the bank and the walk to and from the school.
Now, let me give you a little taste of the first day of school:
Thomas- We arrived at 9am. The door greeter was there, and happy to see Thomas. We found our way to the classroom, where two kids were waiting. After a few minutes, his teacher arrived and told us that school would be from 9-11 this week, and that there will be no classes Thursday or Friday. I asked about school supplies, and she told me that she would let me know this week, when they needed to be at the school. Parents supply ALL the school supplies, generally we pay between 200-300 soles for each child's supplies (about $60-90). Next week school will be normal hours, 9-1. The classroom had tables and chairs set up and a few supplies left over from last year. The classroom fills up and brightens up quickly with posters, charts and supplies, but it is always shocking to me to see how unprepared the room looks on the first day.
| school supply lists |
| Assembly |
The kids didn't wear their uniforms today. At Ella's school, the uniform is optional, but every kid has one. She'll wear it tomorrow. I'll have to get another school picture of the kids with their uniforms on.
So- that's the first day of school. SO DIFFERENT.
The kids will only complete half of the school year since our project is finished July 20. This brings a whole other area of struggle for me. Several people have said, "Oh, you should stay so the kids can finish the school year!" They don't know our situation and I am not going to explains the ins and outs of it. I know they mean well or they are just making conversation, but I still hate when they say that; As if I haven't thought about the implications for my kids already! I know it will be hard for them, I know starting somewhere else will be an adjustment, I know they may be a bit behind, I KNOW! I also know God knows, and He's go it. He has a plan for them- wherever we end up next.
Although there are frustrations, there are things that I am grateful for. I recognize that what we are experiencing is something unique and special.
I am thankful for the teachers Ella and Thomas have. They both have the same teachers that they had last year and both teachers have made the school experience good for our children.
I am thankful that they get this opportunity, to be the only white children in their schools and to be learning in a 100% Spanish environment. The perspective that this will give them is such a gift from God.
I am glad that they can attend public school and that we can avoid the cost of private school.
I am thankful that our kids have friends here and that they get to go to school with their friends.
I am thankful for friends who help me navigate this system, help me find school supplies and call me ahead of time when there are changes. They make the struggles so much more bearable!
2 comments:
dang.
Hey Amanda
I am just catching up on the blog. Interesting post about school. I don't know how many times I have said that we as parents just try to make the best decisions for our kids at the time, pray and let God handle the rest. Tonight I am thinking about all of the education you are giving them that is outside of the disorganized school. They are learning a new language which will stay with them forever---and will help them with their English. They continue to learn about people and how to treat them...how to love them. That cannot be taught by sitting in a desk, listening to a teacher. You and Chad have given them a rich environment, where family activities are about learning and fun together. Whatever happens in the next four or five months will not effect their educational careers down the road. You are doing great!
Post a Comment