3.11.2013

Poderoso

The largest Nazarene church in the world is in Cali, Colombia.  
Street view of the church.  There is only sidewalk and a few parking spaces in front.  It is on a very busy street.
There are 6 services each Sunday and one on Saturday with around 2,000 in attendance- at EACH service.  In addition there are several weekly corporate prayer and fasting services- all well attended.  Over 800  cell/small groups are held each week throughout the city in homes. 
Sunday morning 10 AM service
Saturday night youth service
Some might assume that a church that large could certainly not be preaching a pure Christianity.  What is the catch? What are they promising? What is the draw?  I must admit to having been a skeptic myself.  However, sitting in the second row of the church service last Sunday, listening to 2,000 people sing with raised hands- God's presence overwhelmed my heart and said,  "This is good.  This is who I am."  I sat through the service and continued to receive confirmation that God does big things.  I asked forgiveness for my lack of faith and asked Him to continue revealing more of who He is.  
The stage.  Chairs are set up as close as possible.  We were in the second row.
Why would I question that God Himself could not draw this number of people to Himself?  Why would I  question success of a church that is carefully and prayerfully sharing Christ and Biblical truths with those who chose to hear?  Doesn't God tell us in His Word, that if we come to Him with humble and repentant hearts, that He will respond with power and blessing?      

The church itself is very simple.  It is a plain building that has had several additions.  No carpet, no sitting areas, no wall hangings or fancy banners.  The main area is simply a huge space with tile floors, packed with rows of plastic white chairs.  There are lights and electronics and big speakers and large t.v. screens so all can see, but it is not fancy.  It is not comfortable.  There are no refreshments.  People wait outside to get in and they hurry out at the end of the service as more people enter.  It was well done, but it was not a show.  Christ was central and there was demonstrative worship and calling out to Him-and He responded.

We are here learning about the multiplication strategy this church uses, the same process we will use in Ambato.  We are hearing from the leadership here, studying the materials and attending services, meetings and retreats that will be part of the strategy we implement.  We spend time in prayer and worship together as a team and individually.  We are preparing for battle.  

I am tired of training.  I am ready to have a home.  I am weary from the humid heat of Colombia.  My kids have only a little idea, as much as I we try to explain, what is going on.  For all they can understand, we are living together out of our suitcases in one house with 20 people in Colombia for the rest of our lives.  

Despite these and countless more challenges, my heart is full of peace.  He is using this time to prepare and solidify my heart, just as He is my team.  There is no doubt in my mind that this is good and that planting a church in Ambato with this group of people using this strategy is where He wants us.  We pray that God would remove us from this ministry, just as obviously as He called us to it, if not His plan for us.  He has only confirmed that we are where He wants us to be.  Praise His Name!  He is so faithful.  

Since we began this journey and started training, God has consistently told me, "You are going to see My power."  Wow.  
This is going to be good.
*poderoso=powerful  

2 comments:

KC said...

Awesome, Amanda! I hope you know that you are blessing us as we follow you guys blessing Him. Many prayers for you and Chad and the kids. Keep your heads up!

Dawn said...

Can't wait to see what He will do through you!