2
Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus
Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comforts, who comforts
us in all our afflictions, so that we may be able to comfort those
who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves
are comforted by God.
We
experience affliction from a wide variety of sources and in a wide
range of intensity and duration. The verse above doesn't teach us
that God will remove affliction, but it does teach us that He has
comfort for ALL of our afflictions. Affliction hits us from all sides
and is an undeniable reality of life. In fact, it is impossible to
live without some kind of affliction. What exactly is affliction?
Below is a list of adjectives describing and defining affliction- a
word we read often throughout God's Word. This type of word study
always give me better understanding:
agony
torture
tribulation
woe
discomfort
trial
heartache
heartbreak
joylessness
sadness
unhappiness shame
difficulty
hardship
ache
smarting
soreness
trouble
anguish
grief
sorriness
agony
distress
pain
suffering
torment
dejection
depression
despair
despondence
heartsickness distress
wretchedness
contrition guilt
self-pity
regret
remorse
self-reproach misery
oppression
sorrowfulness
The
whole idea of suffering and God has been one of much debate and
thought over the centuries and will surely continue to be until
Christ returns. My biggest struggle has been found in trying to
reconcile in my mind that God's comfort in affliction is not
dependent upon the source of the affliction. This is hard for me
because it forces me to ask questions like, "Does God really
have as much grace, comfort and future for me if the affliction in my
life is because of something I did?" It's easy for me to believe
and know that God comforts those who are afflicted because of another
person's sin or because of an illness- that seems fair. But, if I'm
afflicted because of my own sin, something that I obviously did
wrong- well, that suffering is just what I deserve and I better learn
to live with it, right? But, I keep coming back to that verse and that word
ALL.
JUST as much grace, comfort and a future? Maybe I don't want just as much. What if I want a little less, because that seems more fair. Somehow it seems like it will make me feel better- like a way to make restitution or penance. It helps me feel like I am getting, at least a little, of what I deserve. But, the truth is that God most definitely has "just as much" grace, comfort and future for me as He does for anyone with breath in their lungs. If I choose to believe anything else, I am believing a powerful lie that's purpose is to keep me in defeat, brokenness and hopelessness. The scandal of grace,that we forever fight to get our minds wrapped around, is that God does not want to give us what we deserve. Instead, He wants to gives us what we need. It is valuable and costly. He doesn't hand it out like a man handing out fliers on the street corner. He waits for us to realize we need it. He waits for us to ask for it and then He generously pours it into our lives.
God
doesn't play favorites. He offers grace, comfort and a future. To
whom? To anyone who asks with complete repentance,
submission and humility to Him.
God
is personal. God's grace, comfort and future in my life will look
different than yours. What God requires of me in my repentance,
submission and humility is different than what he will require of you
because He deals with each of us personally. He made us uniquely, He
honors our individuality and He knows exactly what we need in our personal affliction.
The
thing that does not change from person to person is where each one
of us must start in order to receive the grace, comfort and future
that He has already prepared for each of His children. Am I suffering
because of my own sin? Am I suffering because of someone else's sin
against me? Am I suffering because of both? Am I suffering, but can't
figure out WHO's fault it is? Repent, submit and be humble before
Him! That is always the starting place for comfort, it doesn't matter
where the affliction came from.
But,
and this a big BUT, affliction, especially cause by personal sin
against another, can be very messy and riddled with consequences that God does not instantly erase. The thing is, if we are going to
get through the mess and mend relationships, find healing and claim the ultimate victory we must start
with these truths. Complete repentance, submission and humility
before Christ have to be where we go before we even attempt to begin
the clean-up. Before anything else, we must be in right position
before Christ or we run the risk of mishandling that which is before
us and continue to be vulnerable to Satan and his constant plan for
destruction and devastation in our lives.
Accepting
the grace of Christ does not mean I don't face and deal with the sin
and the consequences of it. It means I do so the way in which Christ
leads me. It doesn't mean I avoid answering or asking hard questions;
it means I ask and answer by the leading of Christ and through His
spirit. It doesn't mean I move forward, doing the same things I
always have done; It most often requires major changes in my life.
It means praying, "Savior, I give you all of this- all of the
anger, hurt, fear, pain, embarrassment, all the insecurities, all the
possibilities, and whatever else that you bring to my mind that
I don't even know is there yet and I trust You to
lead me through it, to give me the right way and to take care of me
even when I am terrified. I will do this Your way because I choose to
trust You."
He will respond. He will give comfort. He will not fail. In fact, He will amaze and astound us with what He is capable of.
Go back to that long list of words at the beginning of this post. What resonates with you today? What are you experiencing? It doesn't matter what the affliction is or where it came from- there is a way to face it.
In
the verses below, the italics are my additions and serve as reminders
as I meditate and learn to hang onto the powerful promises here.
Maybe filling in your "affliction word" and
meditating on these truths can give you a breath of encouragement and
power too-
Romans
15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in
believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in
hope no matter where the ____________ came from.
1 Peter 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, no matter where the _______________ came from, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, no matter where the _______________ came from, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comforts, who comforts me in all my ____________, so that I may be able to comfort those who are in any _____________, with the comfort with which I am comforted by God.
To
Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we could ever ask or
imagine, to Him be all the glory and all the honor forever and ever-
amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment