8.31.2006
Childhood
Memories from my childhood:
**Getting TUMS from Grandma Mable. I don't know why it was such a treat- but I liked getting one or two from her when I would stay at her house as a kid.
**Dad carrying us into the house at night from the car. I remember staying in the car, pretending to be asleep, knowing that Dad would carry me in. We lived about 30 minutes, from town, so we would often fall asleep when we had evenings in town.
**Playing monopoly with my sisters in the summer while eating Schwan man pizza's and drinking lemonade.
**Mom letting us play in the mud each spring.
**Grandma Ginger bringing a package to me while I was in kindergarten, strawberry shortcake juice glasses. I felt SO special that she came to see me AND bring me something.
**Birthday breakfast with Dad at Smitty's.
**Mom showing me how to clean a toilet and telling me why it is important to wipe the inside AND outside of the bowl.
**Hanging out at the church after school while mom worked on children's ministry stuff.
**Riding our bikes down the road to Aunt Shirley's and getting POP.
For some reason these memories have come to me lately. Isn't it funny how certain memories stick and come back so strongly? I like to remember, and feel those feelings again. I had such a good childhood- safe, secure, loving, fun. It IS what every child should have as a foundation. It still makes me feel all those good feelings when I remember and makes me more secure in who I am today. It also reminds me that ANYTHING I do can make an impression. I think God has been reminding me of that, since I have so many children in my home and in my life. What a great priviledge and responsibility to be in the lives of children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a great post. It sounds like you had a fun childhood. I have memories like that, too, and I hope and pray that when my children are older, they look back and have fond memories, too. That's what childhood should be...one big fond memory. :-)
Great memories! Thanks for sharing them. I am trying to help Kristen's kids have good memories as well. I know you are doing good things with the kids in your care.
Post a Comment