10.05.2006

Names

So- I was really pumped about the name Jacob, until I logged onto the Social Security Administration website only to discover that it is the most popular name of this decade. I had no idea. I know no Jacobs. Anyway- I know we are four months out, but naming this little guy is of particular importance to me for some reason. We've considered just using Jacob, but giving him a name that is not SO common would be good. I listed several names out on paper which Chad was less than enthusiastic about. I must admit, none sounded as good as Jacob. But, we have a suitable alternative to Jacob, thanks to Chad's creative mind. He said the name just came to him. I checked out the meaning, and it is "helper". Anyway- the name is Ezra. Certainly not common, ranked 358th last year! So- We'll call him Ezra for awhile and see how that feels. Ella and Ezra, not bad. Middle name is to be Loren, like Chad's. We are also still contemplating future children. Still have not totally made our minds up about it. I am feeling good and am feeling him move more and more each day. He is going to be here soon! Especially with all the busy-ness that comes with the next few months.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My vote is for Ezra! Equally as strong as Jacob, not nearly as common and it does fit soooo nicely with Ella.

Anonymous said...

I like the name Derek...always been a favorite of mine. Not commonly used. Ezra is nice...however..coming from someone who named their girls names with the same first letter....it's been a headache saying the wrong name for the wrong kid.

brooke said...

Love love love Ezra! It is the coolest boy name ever (except for Oliver of course). !!

Sherry said...

I like Ezra...it was one of Luke's favorite names...do I sense a brotherly trend??? I am all about unique names. I love Jacob too-except I have 4 Jacobs in my class of 33, however, they are 4 of my favorite kids.=)

KarenK said...

I like Ezra too. And Jacob. The front-running name for us is semi-popular too but there isn't a single name I like nearly as much. I say go with whatever you love.

I second Beth's comment about same first letter. I am constantly calling her girls by the wrong name or segments of each other's name. Kind of like how my dad always called us "Beh-Karen" and "Kar-Beth".

I used to write out long lists of my favorite names when I was growing up and then when it came to actually bestowing a name on a real child it just took on a whole different light. Such responsibility.

Hey- while I'm writing a big long novel here, do you still want a boy bassinet liner or will you use the yellow?

Dawn said...

I love the name Jacob. In fact, Kevin could have been Jacob if we hadn't already picked out Kevin before Kristen was born. It has been the #1 name for several years. I have a hard time with really unusual names, since I had one growing up and always wished I was Linda or Mary like everyone else.

The name mix-up thing is a Swanson heredity problem, I believe. Grandma Swanson had it big time and passed it on. Poor Olivia is still Haylivi to me almost every day.

Anonymous said...

Ezra sounds like a great name! Picking names is hard, isn't it? Sounds like you are right on track though. :-)

As for the whole name mix-up thing, I think it happens no matter if your kids have similar names or not, and even if they are different genders! Its just a part of mommyhood! lol.