7.11.2007

8 years down!!

Well, life has improved since my last post. Thanks for all the encouraging words on and off the blog. I saw the Dr. Friday and got my prescription refilled. It is amazing the difference it makes. So, I am once again functioning normally. Feeling like me.
Thomas is rolling to his tummy every time we lay him on the floor. He can't figure out getting back over, but is getting closer. I have been feeding him rice cereal with baby food mixed in. He does great getting it down and opens up wide for his next bite.
Ella continues to test every limit placed upon her. Chad and I talk about our methods everyday and are working hard to be consistent and wise in how we parent her. I remind myself everyday to have fun with her- otherwise it is too easy to focus on all the correcting that occurs and miss out on the great little personality that she has. She is so eager to communicate and wants to share all she knows, does and sees with me.
Chad and I celebrated our 8th anniversary yesterday. We ate out at a nice restaurant and then did a bit of shopping. We came home and watched our wedding video. On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being the worst, 10 being the best, we both rated the past year at a 7. The addition of children has certainly changed the dynamics of our marriage. Challenging it in many ways, but also strengthening our resolve and commitment. There is so much more at stake now. We have really been developing our ability to work together- thanks to the kids!
I have always had trouble with thinking of Chad as my best friend. I think it because of the way I define and distinguish the word friend from husband. They mean such different things to me. I describe Chad as my favorite person. He continues to be fascinating and intriguing. He is the one I want to share my experiences with. He is the one who's opinion matters most to me. He is the one who KNOWS me, better than any other. He is honest and fair and loyal. I am secure and safe in this partnership.
I would attribute the success of our marriage thus far to : 1. good examples in our parents and friends who are also great supporters and encouragers. We know those around us are "rooting" for us. 2. Our core values and beliefs are the same- so despite the many differences that there are, our foundation is solid- we always have something to go back to that unites us. 3. We communicate. Chad is so good about talking situations and issues out with me. We have always continued to talk to each other and try to do so honestly and respectfully. I believe we both try to assume the best and remind ourselves that we are on the SAME team! Sorry, no picture of the happy couple. I had intended to scan a wedding picture-but obviously, didn't.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

Happy Anniversary! I completely completely hear you on Ella testing all the limits...oh, they are most certainly from the same family. Everything is, "no, I do it," or "breklinn can do it, not mommy." I'm happy that she's learning how to do things on her own...but my word!!! I love that Thomas is rolling over! Silas can, but he could care less about doing it, I was just thinking this morning that maybe I ought to work with him on that. That's funny that you say Chad is your favorite person, Luke and I say that to each other every night as our nightly ritual. I miss talking to you, I feel like I have so much catching up to do...hence the reason for the mega long comment.

someone else said...

What a wonderful post and tribute to a great marriage. This would have fit right in with Tuesday's Woman to Woman topic. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Happy Anniversary again from me.

Dawn said...

So glad you're feeling better! And that you had a great time on your anniversary.

Thanks for your prayers for little Livi - quite a week it's been!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I won't dish out any advice in the parenting arena other than to say that since I was a boundary pusher and my youngest is one, consistency is important, as you mentioned. However, adapting each day is key. Boundary pushers don't respond to the same discipline tactic as the one before. And while it's frustrating to have to be creative all the time with way to change behavior, just remember that people like Ella and Heather and Bethany and Me add spice and character to life and this kind of strength and independence, if encouraged correctly, will end up being a strong asset to have. I love the fact that you and Chad talk about ways to parent her. That's good. Remembering not to crush her spirit will be rewarded later in life. She's such a sweetie and I'm sure you two are doing a great job!!!

Anonymous said...

You guys rock:) Happy anniversary!