1.24.2008

Bye Bye Binkie

These made me smile - Standing tall- and LOVING it Ella- wearing her tutu and washcloth on her head as she sets the table- who is this crazy kid?!?! A special letter that Ella put into the mailbox this afternoon. In exchange for what was in this bag, that I happened to pick up today from the Binkie Fairy-
We discussed the exchange at length--if she decided to mail her binkies to the binkie fairy, then she could have the present. BUT, if she did that, she would not have her binkies again because the Binkie Fairy would take them to a baby who needed them. She was SO excited- about the present of course and this fun new game about the "Binkie Mary". She helped make the envelope and sealed her binkie's in. She decided that her baby needed to go out too, so she loaded the envelope and her baby into the stroller. She deliberated over the shoes she would wear and finally determined that her sparkley pink shoes would be most appropriate. They did, after all, match her pink shirt and coat. Upon her return, she opened her package and was pleased with the exchange- until tonight - at bedtime, when she could not find her binkies in her bed. We reminded her about the exchange, we re-assured her that the Binkie Fairy had surely given her's to a little baby who needed it. I wrapped her in a blanket and took her out to the mailbox, after SHE had the idea to go out and find her binkies. Her face, upon seeing the dark empty box was surprised, confused and worried. It was after 10:00, after several pep-talks and back tickles and leaving her door open a crack, that she finally surrendered to sleep. Without her binkie- for the first time in her little life.

10 comments:

Kendra said...

Oh my goodness! What a big step for your little girl! I vividly remember getting rid of the pacifier...I hope she (and you!) have an easier time of it tonight!

lifeinsuburbia said...

Good grief. I was sooooo sad when we got rid of Charley's binkies. SO SAD. Maybe more for me than for her, because that little last bit of babiness is gone. :( BTW, Charley is always talking about AManda, Ella and Baby ThomaS!

Bridgette said...

poor ella! What a big girl she was giving them up! At least she has no less than 6 "lovie blankets" to sleep with. :) Emme says hi.

KarenK said...

*sigh*

Good work, Mama.

You wouldn't think that breaking the pacifier would be such a milestone. But oh! the heart!

Maine Mom said...

Giving up the binkie is a HUGE deal. I like your "binkie fairy" idea and the gift exchange. I hope Ella adjusts quickly to this new change.

Cute, cute pictures!

Dawn said...

What a creative mommy you are - no wonder Ella sets the table with a tutu and a washcloth on he head!

Any brilliant ideas for Feisty to help her over her fear of pooping??

Dawn said...

PS - Feisty's very favorite shoes of all time are gold sparklies like Ella's pink ones.

Check out the new pix - on my site or the family one.

Sema said...

What a cute little story. I really miss that little girl and our times when we ate sunflower seeds together! Or when I would read her a book and she would bring one after another until I had read about ten books! Or when we would play with her little people toys and pretend we were going to school! special memories!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Ella! Way to go, mom and dad!

I remember the day I told our babysitter to get rid of the paci. "L" only asked for it a couple of times after.

The best thing...we could understand everything she was saying because she wasn't trying to talk with the paci in her mouth. :)

Cara

Sherry said...

Nice job El! (and Mama!)