3.24.2008

Easter

I had hoped to post a great picture of my kids dressed up and sweet in their Easter duds, but- Easter turned out to be a bit of a dud (ha) itself! I woke up with Thomas at around 5:30am and ended up tossing my cookies. So- I promptly headed back to bed and stayed there all day. As Chad was getting Ella dressed for church, she threw up- so Ella and I stayed home and watched several Kidsongs episodes while the boys went to church. I was disappointed. We have yet to attend church together! So- we had Easter dinner tonight. Ham, mashed sweet potatoes, asparagus and parmesan/artichoke spread on baguette. It was good and very colorful! Thomas ate three asparagus spears!! We were surprised. Ella choked 1/2 of one down. She was VERY proud of herself. For dessert we had this- It is delicious and turned out to be one of the prettiest pies I have ever made.

We went to a party for one of Chad's co-workers Saturday night. When it is 50 degree here, people think it is warm enough to have a patio BBQ. We had to go home and get warmer clothes. It was fine- nice to have something to do. Most of the people were single or married without kids- and having two kids to watch out for made it hard to have conversation. Everyone seemed so stylish and put together. It felt very different and unfamiliar- as it should I suppose, because it WAS.

I get really insecure and have a tendency to be judgemental in situations like that. I have to remind myself that they are people just like me. I HAVE to get beyond the appearance and REALLY see people as God does. It is easy for me to do that with people who have less than me- but a much great challenge with those who appear to have more. That doesn't' describe it adequately- I am having a hard time voicing it exactly. Hope it resounds with someone-maybe you can help voice it better! At any rate, it is something that God is working on me with. At this point, I'd rather avoid it- but, it is inevitable.

It feels good to be challenge- but I long for familiar and comfortable. Chad and I were discussing how even going out to dinner has tension- "Where do we go? Do we order at the table or at the register? Is it kid friendly? Does everyone in here know we are new?" and on and on. We don't even have someone to call to say, "Hey- come try out this new place with us!" At least then we'd have comfort in numbers! We are just being forced to face a lot of "firsts", and those are always a bit draining.

After the party Saturday night Chad said, " I think we will be surprised to find out the reason we are here." That is most certainly true. I have stopped guessing what it may be. I could never guess. God is not predictable in that sense. What I do know, for sure, is that He won't disappoint. I know, with confidence, that all this is worth whatever He has for us. And "All this" isn't even that bad, especially in the light of what waits ahead.

I will leave you with pictures of the kids enjoying the HIT of the Easter baskets this year.

4 comments:

joy said...

I'm sorry that your Easter was full of ....barf. :) It is always disappointing when you plan with one vision in mind and it does not come to be. Hang in there with the newbies. We were once stylish- once upon a time. Just be yourself and they will fall in love with you guys. We miss you. I wish God would get his plan over with and send you back. :) a bit selfish, I know. But things will get better.

Anonymous said...

Amanda I wish we were there with you to try out new restaurants. That would be so much fun. You know how Dan and I like to eat. We sure miss you guys and think of you often. Ditto on what Joy said about God sending you back.
Your obedience is truly a witness.
Love ya and miss ya!
Candee

KarenK said...

Soo sorry your Easter was spent hanging over the toilet. What a drag. Glad everyone is feeling better.

Making new friends is hard, whether you're meeting them for the first time or just getting to know someone who's been around for awhile. I often feel the way you do when I go to work functions with B, sometimes just when I'm stopping by his office to say hi! No advice, just understanding.

Love you guys.

Kendra said...

So sorry to hear you were sick! Thats the worst. I totally understand what you are talking about w/ the new situations/new people...I can still remember the impression I got of you when I first met you...so off track! :-) Hang in there, you guys are great and in no time the folks there will see that. :-)